Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

Equivalent to AKG K501

Same here for the Sudgen. Anyone had a listen with RKV?

IMHO, the 501 sounded a little bit hard on the RKV.

But I've heard it on the following Cyrus combo - Cyrus 7 amp + CD7Q + PSX-R + Taralabs One IC - simply musical with a massive soundstage and I was only testing it with a ripped MP3 128bit to wav CD!

it could be the mp3, headphonecrazy.

IMO mp3s are usually darker and IMO more 'musical' (as opposed to detailed) due to the high freq cutoff that occurs during encoding. (exact freq depending on bitrate)

Maybe I should have specified here 'with similar comfort' too. Wonder if a cable upgrade has been done before.

Same here for the Sudgen. Anyone had a listen with RKV?

IMHO, the 501 sounded a little bit hard on the RKV.

But I've heard it on the following Cyrus combo - Cyrus 7 amp + CD7Q + PSX-R + Taralabs One IC - simply musical with a massive soundstage and I was only testing it with a ripped MP3 128bit to wav CD!

Hey headphonecrazy, any chance of having a listen during the weekend?

Anyway getting back on track, I had the rare chance of trying out Oakie 501 on my setup. Since my setup is quite bass shy, there wasn't any trace of bass. On classical or acoustic pieces, it sounded pretty impressive. The sound was very airy but for on vocals, it sounded pretty thin. Howver certain classical pieces, you need to have that "kick" and hence I would still prefer the HD600 or the DT931. For the HD600, IMHO the music would sound like you are sitting between the middle row and the back. While for the DT931, you are in the front seats, IMHO as well.

N@Z, try increasing the output impedence to 120 ohms - the highs will be less bright but he bass sld increase a touch ( we're talking about a subtle yet noticable change).

Can I do that using the PCII's 120 ohm jack rameish?

oh and which reminds me, have you tried the cd3k N@z?

the soundstage is big, rivals that of dt880, but this has more 'height' , dt880 is wider though.

Mid sounds good.. maybe a lil coloured but I like biggrin.gif

bass is prominent but remains deep and well controlled.

I am listening to it. very addicting

I only had a chance to hear it on headphoncrazy's Cyrus combo + RKV/impedancer. It sounds very good, without direct comparison with a familiar headphone on the same setup I couldn't say specifically about the soundstage although I did notice there was depth to the sound. In this setup it didn't sound as bright as I expected and had most of the sound 'ingredients' as you mentioned that I look for. Something to consider in the future but not at the current lofty prices.

yep.. I have to agree the price is just ohmy.gif for a brand new pair.

but for 300 usd(the usual asking price in head-fi), it's one hell of a good can.

It may not be that accurate but sure fun to listen to laugh.gif

and non fatiguing(at least not in my setup) happy.gif

CD3K is addictive? w00t.gif Cans are like crack these days. tongue.gif

Are you using your present setup with the CD3K Blues?

yep!

marantz - tara - corda - cd3k out of 0 ohm

very very nice party.gif

Yeah I can still remember the sound of the CD3000 with RKV/Cyrus combo-I like.

10 minutes on it only sleep.gif before I had to go to reconfirm my return filght, damn mad.gif

Can I do that using the PCII's 120 ohm jack rameish?

Yes but not all headphone amp outputs are at Zero ohms to begin with. So a Creek OBH 11 SE (B version) would have 32 ohms out of Jack 2 and 68 ohms out of Jack 1. So addiding a 120 ohm adapter to Jack 2 would increase the output impedence to 152 ohms.

I do not know the output impedence of your other amps.