Sign in to follow this  
mychew

Personal view of the X-cans v1

What Personal view of X-Can v1

Ok...adding on to the previous reply i posted..

the only different is that i'm using my own setup now...

i'm using the ombo of Sony D421SP Sports pcdp + X-Cans v1 + Senn Hd 202

tracks used are Sarah Mclachlen's Surfacing track 7 - Angel

and Diana Krall's Live in Paris..almost all of the tracks in the album..

En Struss Orchestra album...

Jacky Cheung's CD- xiang he ni qu cui cui feng

cable used is Monster 400 Y-cable...

what i notice:

Firstly...it doesn't sound quite nice before warming up.After warming up...the improvement is obvious, though my cans still cant get the best out of x-cans. For the vocal...i find out that it's that bright amymore..the boomy effect of my hd 202 is lesser now and the rhythm is smooth and slow but does not lose in speed...

i did not notice whether there is an improvement on soundstage or not..i throw in the Sarah's Angel..the soundstage is..i cant say is so much wider...but it did open up a bit but the resonance (maybe echoing effect) is lesser....compare to the hd 202 unamp..i would say that...when listening to it without x-can, it's like listening to a piece of music in a cave...the sound is trap in the cave...

and using x-cans...sarah tend to sound warmer...

for diana krall's CD, there is some fast and noisy(many instruments involved), which sounds very messy to me...listen through x-cans...it sounds well-controlled and provide more details...for diana...the vocal not bright but more details are noticed.

i've tried the orchestra pieces...it give me more enjoyment in bass and less boomy...i can hear the very low bass which before that i find it very hard to notice.

I would have to say that i like the pcdp more now, sounds better to me through x-cans. the pcdp is fast if i'm not wrong, but pair with x-cans. it did not become slow..i would call it smooth..or maybe smooth slow?coz it does not affect much of the speed but it's flowing smooth now.

now...jacky cheung CD, IIRC...i use track 3 for audition...i duno what does the instrument used inside..coz it's not really a musical instrument...erm..forget about how it is called..but again...i hear more details than before...this make me even more confirm that i get the details out from x-cans...

Overall, the rhythm becomes smooth and yet still fast. I like the overall sounding of my setup..warm setup i can say, and provide more details...the brightness can say is under control now...if i want it to become a bit more warmer again, i would lower down the volume level a bit..and it works...my setup is a laidback setup...i can hear that the singer is far from me...but it varies from recording to recording...but some recording is too laidback for me.

This is the end of my personal view of first impression on my imcpmplete humble setup...would tell u guys more once i found out more..or when using different combo...thanks for reading my post wink.gif

thank you...this is not the end...but the beginnning of my journey headphone.gif

my perfect setup would be Beyer Dt-990 + x-cans + cdp(duno what brand and model yet) kicking.gif

you seem to enjoy it alot.

Good purchase. Now get some good cdp and your 990 and you'll be rockin!! party.gif

yup...i really enjoy it...but still need to upgrade my source and cans once i save up enough money...

and i found that the D421SP sounds pretty nice with x-cans..enjoying....tempting me to enjoy it everynite..but then i would have neglected my assignments and coursework tongue.gifno.gif

Very good mychew, imagine when you finally get your proper source & headphones. In the mean time, enjoy yourself with your music.

congrats mychew wink.gif

i had wanted to have a home audition with the v1 but u beat me to it wink.gif

Hm...my "To Buy" list would be a cdp and Beyer DT-990...and the X-PSU...i'm not sure about that..as i duno whether i can hear a different or not...or maybe just purchase it when i save enough money..but i think i would complete my setup first..before purchase an X-PSU...provided that i can still source for one by that time tongue.gif

may my dream come true...how do u guys think of that?do u like it or did u enjoy the x-cans during the meet?i remember N@Z get to listen to it..but that time i was using mat's Y-cable and Sony D777, plus x-cans and x-psu...Maybe N@Z can share his experience here with us?i think Northen Oak could also write something about his experience with X-Cans and X-PSU here...

this morning just finish my second audition in my setup...would need to listen more to my setup for maybe a couple of days... i fall in love with my setup now... tongue.gif

I would bring them to the next meet..i think so...But u all must bear with it...if u had listen to X-Cans with X-PSU before, and u discover a difference with my x-can without X-PSU...please bear with it wink.gif

Sipher..why i beat u to it?

Nice attempt Mychew! Glad U are enjoying the music more with the X-can in your setup. Remember...price nor value of your gears is not a perfect measure of the amount of happiness U get while listening to music. I think the reverse is more true IMHO.

Im on the other side I think my cans a quite good but I need a good amp. After much thought I think I will pursue with the CMOY.

Good to see you are enjoying yourself mychew. Lucky you didnt kill yourself. tongue.gif

lol...u think i would kill myself now?hehe...definitely no...i want to enjoy my setup now until i'm really very familiar with how my setup sounds...then i would upgrade the matching parts..hmmm.... sleep.gif

cmoy is bright wortel...it would makes your k501 brighter...

Hm...my "To Buy" list would be a cdp and Beyer DT-990...and the X-PSU...i'm not sure about that..as i duno whether i can hear a different or not...or maybe just purchase it when i save enough money..but i think i would complete my setup first..before purchase an X-PSU...provided that i can still source for one by that time tongue.gif

may my dream come true...how do u guys think of that?do u like it or did u enjoy the x-cans during the meet?i remember N@Z get to listen to it..but that time i was using mat's Y-cable and Sony D777, plus x-cans and x-psu...Maybe N@Z can share his experience here with us?i think Northen Oak could also write something about his experience with X-Cans and X-PSU here...

this morning just finish my second audition in my setup...would need to listen more to my setup for maybe a couple of days... i fall in love with my setup now... tongue.gif

I would bring them to the next meet..i think so...But u all must bear with it...if u had listen to X-Cans with X-PSU before, and u discover a difference with my x-can without X-PSU...please bear with it wink.gif

Sipher..why i beat u to it?

Seriously do you need the X-PSU? The X-PSU is only useful if you have various components such as the X-10D, X-24 DAC , etc etc.. You can always build your own PSU using a torroidal transfomer.

Take a look at this website

http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/x-psu.htm

Edited by lengcm

congrats mychew wink.gif

i had wanted to have a home audition with the v1 but u beat me to it wink.gif

Sipher, there is V2 out there you may ask the seller for home audition too. laugh.gif