I think you know how f ing hot the DV can get... :shocking:

:lol:

We can swap stuff anytime we like... :thumbup:

hows the hd800 and dv337 , good match?

@kds5000

You finally got the hd800!

this came few weeks back!

IPB Image

Wow...so how is the apuresound compares to the stock cable?

Thanks.

For tubes, I always recommend Well Audio. Btw, those tubes that you're using are very good NOS tubes.

Thanks. Yep, I think that's where he's taking me this Saturday... :))

hows the hd800 and dv337 , good match?

The HD800 needs a warm sounding amp, I feel. So a powerful tube amp is ideal for it. DV337 is rated at over 2W... :party:

I really like the HD800/DV337 combo - nice lush mids with a weighty mid-bass :thumbup:

Highs not as sharp or sibilant as the HD800 may sound through some ss amps. Bass also not as deep as the 800/Apache combo. So if you like "sparkly highs" and deep bass, my 800/337 combo may not be ideal... :think:

@kds5000

You finally got the hd800!

this came few weeks back!

IPB Image

Hahaha! Yep! All your fault... :ppth: Had to get the HD800 after I heard your fully burned-in 800... :drool:

Glad you've got your cable. Still no news from APS about my cable for the HD600... :angry:

You got your amp yet?

Thanks. Yep, I think that's where he's taking me this Saturday... :))

The HD800 needs a warm sounding amp, I feel. So a powerful tube amp is ideal for it. DV337 is rated at over 2W... :party:

I really like the HD800/DV337 combo - nice lush mids with a weighty mid-bass :thumbup:

For DV337, the shop at Burlington had Jan Philips driver tubes and GE power tubes. You have to consider the price.

Edited by RickEC

For DV337, the shop at Burlington had Jan Philips driver tubes and GE power tubes. You have to consider the price.

My humble rig ...

IPB Image

I think whatever our budget for our this hobby is, we should enjoy, like :thumbup:

Ah! A fellow 337 owner! You and I need to swap notes on tubes... :beer:

What's the name of the shop at Burlington bro? When you say "consider the price", do you mean that the things there are expensive? I'm definitely keen on the Jan Philips driver tubes :DD

What tubes are you using btw?

My humble rig ...

IPB Image

I think whatever our budget for our this hobby is, we should enjoy, like :thumbup:

i see the coconut from victor :x

Ah! A fellow 337 owner! You and I need to swap notes on tubes... :beer:

What's the name of the shop at Burlington bro? When you say "consider the price", do you mean that the things there are expensive? I'm definitely keen on the Jan Philips driver tubes :DD

What tubes are you using btw?

There are two shops at least, one of them Well Audio. Can't rem the other one, Martin maybe. The one with a real nice Auntie sells Jan Philips 6SJ7WGT. No, not expensive. Just that there are cheap lobangs hidden around, if you have the energy and time to hunt them down. I am using GE 6AS7GA, which I personally prefer over my Tung Sol 5998. For driver, i swap around RCA reds 5693, Tung Sol 5SJ7G and Jan Philips 6SJ7WGT.

i see the coconut from victor :x

Yes, those coconuts are sweet and big. :thumbup:

Edited by RickEC

5751! I've been reading up a lot on that tube model since my Ear+ HD uses it. Damn, I recently sold off my spares. :doh: Try to go for the triple mica versions, my current favourite is the GE 1950s triple mica black plate. Price a little steep though. The extra mica helps to reduce noise floor and microphonics.

These are the triple mica grey plates.

IPB Image

And these are the triple mica black plates.

IPB Image

If you're fishing on eBay let me know, I might want to get a few spares. ;)

Hey Burger...

Got this matched pair from Ebay...USD 50 inclusive of shipping...triple mica black with D getter and copper post...reasonable?

IPB Image

if you're keen on a very airy sounding but leaner bass, you can consider the dual thick mica 5751 from westinghouse, identical construction etc to that of the GE with one less mica spacer at the top. martin used to have them and may still have them.. cheap and good sounding.

whilst most people would warn against swopping 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7, 12AX7A interchangeably etc, they actually are pretty swoppable, except that you have to determine what parameter you are trying to achieve, i.e. lower gain but higher current drive = 12AU7, or high gain, but low current drive 12AX7 etc..

(and the crappiest thing about tubes, is that sometimes expensive is not equivalent to best sounding)

if you're keen on a very airy sounding but leaner bass, you can consider the dual thick mica 5751 from westinghouse, identical construction etc to that of the GE with one less mica spacer at the top. martin used to have them and may still have them.. cheap and good sounding.

whilst most people would warn against swopping 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7, 12AX7A interchangeably etc, they actually are pretty swoppable, except that you have to determine what parameter you are trying to achieve, i.e. lower gain but higher current drive = 12AU7, or high gain, but low current drive 12AX7 etc..

(and the crappiest thing about tubes, is that sometimes expensive is not equivalent to best sounding)

Truth.