ical

Pics: Show Off Your Home Rigs

Thanks, all.

The Diva preamp uses three 12AX7 tubes but TS Lim has later recommended using two 12AX7 on the front and back, and one 12AT7 in the middle.

At the moment I have the GE Jan5751 with green letterings for the front and back (SGD20 each); waiting for the triple mica version to arrive.

As for the centre tubes, have tried the following:

Mullard CV4004 (1986) - came with amp, so not sure how much this is going for.

Philips JAN 12AT7WC (1980's)-$20 from Martin

Electro-Harmonix 12AX7 with gold pins - $20 from Martin (loan from a friend)

Mullard ECC83 (original O-Getter version- pictured below) - this is the most expensive of the four

From the four, in order of preference: Mullard ECC83 (definite winner), Mullard CV4004, Electro-Harmonix, Philips. Waiting for a Philips Miniwatt 6021 with gold pins to come in (second pic); will see how that one goes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by Kachui

and the crappiest thing about tubes, is that sometimes expensive is not equivalent to best sounding

After years of playing with tubes, NOS still sound the best for me. I've no luck with those still in production tubes.

Thanks, all.

The Diva preamp uses three 12AX7 tubes but TS Lim has later recommended using two 12AX7 on the front and back, and one 12AT7 in the middle.

At the moment I have the GE Jan5751 with green letterings for the front and back (SGD20 each); waiting for the triple mica version to arrive.

Mullard ECC83 (original O-Getter version- pictured below) - this is the most expensive of the four

From the four, in order of preference: Mullard ECC83 (definite winner), Mullard CV4004, Electro-Harmonix, Philips. Waiting for a Philips Miniwatt 6021 with gold pins to come in (second pic); will see how that one goes.

From what I read, 5751 tubes generally have a better sound than most 12AX7 at a cheaper cost too. You sacrifice a little gain though, since 5751 has 70% the gain of 12AX7. I did read up on 12AT7 tubes awhile back when I was still considering the Earmax SE. Good ones definitely do not come cheap, and the supposed best of the lot is the scarily expensive Telefunken. Siemens and Valvo are also well regarded by Earmax owners. The Philips one you are getting shouldn't sound too shabby as well.

After years of playing with tubes, NOS still sound the best for me. I've no luck with those still in production tubes.

Hmm, interesting. I'm planning to try a few tubes after rave reviews on the Ear+ HD thread over at Head-fi. Namely this vintage Sovtek 12AX7 and this current new production tube.

:sweat: The advantage of a SS rig. :whistle:

:sweat: The advantage of a SS rig. :whistle:

Don't tube look beautiful. :whistle:

IPB Image

Edited by ical

for power tubes, i only like mesh plate tubes which is why i dont have that many choices. current productions from 天津and 曙光are superb performers, if not one of the best. perhaps i'll withdraw my statement if i get my hands on a pair of emission labs.

曙光came up with a black carbon treasure tube series recently in dec 2008 and they've been looking extremely tempting to me :P

for pre-amp/driver stage tubes without a doubt, NOS tubes tubes definitely supercede many if not all current productions, but i'll see if i can get my hands on a pair of TJ's 12AU/AX7 but its too unreasonably priced in sg. supposed remakes of the telefunken ecc83 with some improvements in structure/design

Thanks, all.

welcome to the permutation game :P whilst rolling the centre pre-tube results in the most significant sonic changes, the 2 other driver tubes too can result in sound differences.. so you are stuck in the scenario of trying to match both.. than choosing the best for the middle..

its going to be expensive to play around.. but definitely fun :rclxms::rclxms:

at least you have an OTL amplifier.. and not transformer coupled.. else there's going to be another additional variability in the output path.. :X

Tubes look better in the dark. :holiday:

welcome to the dark side :blush::blush:

:wub:

IPB Image

:beer::prettyprincess::prettyprincess::prettyprincess::beer:

Don't bluff...deep down inside, you KNOW you're a tube guy... :ppth: