Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

The mini D70 users thread

Yes I've tried using the speedlight as a remote with good success but I envisage there will be times when I won't have my tripod or the venue conditions will not allow me to use it remotely.

Will give the fabric material diffuser a try. Any type of fabric (white cotton etc?) will do? Maybe a shot of your mentioned set up.

smile.gif here's what the diffuser looks like, its not somthing i made, bought it from camera shop @ $10 the meterial feels like nylon, i think its the same as what they use for umbrellas

u can see that the back/1 side is black, thats the side with the reflector

user posted image user posted image

with diffuser on the flash, it looks weired but it works tongue.gif

user posted image

Edited by tropicalrips

Thanks! Any sample shots of it firing directly on to the subject?

Thanks! Any sample shots of it firing directly on to the subject?

the shots with the white elephants...the last pic in that post (audio mixer) was taken with the diffuser, without it the silver metal would hav over expose

i'll take some shots with direct flash + diffuser smile.gif

Test shot with the flash... need to practise more tongue.gifblush.gif hand shaky... 1/2s I think -.- ...

user posted image

here are the shots of my dinner taken with diffuser smile.gif i took a series of with/without for comparison

user posted image user posted image user posted image user posted image

the camera setting remained unchanged though the sequence, no retouch was done, just conversion to jpeg

the sequence is as follow :

1) direct flash without diffuser

2) bounce flash without diffuser

3) direct flash with diffuser

4) bounce flash with diffuser

shots 2,3,4 looks ok with only minor difference, the first shot with direct flash without diffuser looks under expose, seems like the camera reduce the strength of the flash inorder to reduce the "harshly lit" that u were talking about N@Z sleep.gif

some fruits after dinner haha.gif

user posted image

also taken with diffuser

retook the friuts pic cause the pineapple color looked a bit off laugh.gif its a day old...the first pic made it look "fresh" tongue.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Tropical, i like the last(4th) shot the best. It looks like very natural lighting because the whiteness in the plates dont look too 'bright' to me. Good buy yes.gif

The problem I have is when taking photos of people at a function (not necessarily group photos but can be individuals as well), the ceiling is too high (or I'm outdoors) for bounce flash to be used. I can still angle the flash head & extend the bounce card but I feel it's not strong enough for when I'm shooting from well over a few meters. If I fire directly it will cause harsh reflections on certain colours or reflective materials hence where I think the 'sock' mod might be of help for me.

How do you guys shoot under those conditions?

Have you tried to bounce it off the floor?

u mean hold the flash and point it at the floor?

i think direct flash with the head turn to slightly left or right might also work

"sock mod" lol.gif N@Z can get a tayler to make the diffuser for u, a sock might absorb too much of the flash, the diffuser i hav seems to be made from the kind of material they use for studio lights

Edited by tropicalrips

Well ive seen several variations, hold the camera upside down and bounce it off the floor or if the flash allows u to point it down u could do that as well.

Not literally a sock but maybe just cut a piece of white fabric of suitable thickness then wrap it around the flash head held in place with rubber bands.

Kinda ackward to hold upside down. Seems inconvenient to hold & actuate the shutter button. Not to mention it'll look kinda silly. The distance from the flash head to the reflecting surface might be too close as well for a fairly small built person like me - you're a Goliath compared to me Q00!.

The SB800 is only able to tilt down 7 degrees. Worth a try although it's original intention is for closeup shots with the bundled diffuser dome. That's also assuming if you can get a clear area infront of the subject free of furniture, obstructions etc & the floor is not coloured which could not only afect the intensity but also cause strange colour cast.

Tilting the flash head sidways seems like worth a try too if I'm close to a wall.

Thanks for the tips & suggestions. At least I have some different flash techniques to try out for our upcoming office dinner event this weekend as my family's outdoor B-B-Q shots I took on saturday night didn't so hot.

I find the plastic diffuser which cover the flash cuts too much light, prefer to bounce if off a large piece of white cardboard. Just rubber-band it to the flash head. True diy look. happy.gif

Well, with dslr, colour balance is not a problem, you could even tie a white balloon to the flash! biggrin.gif

IMHO, bouncing light off the floor can give an unintended effect - erie look?

Edited by heady