Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

The mini D70 users thread

Ah ok...im only using the standard built in flash so im affected by the lens hood shadow. Cool.. few people i know would willingly participate in a parade. Im surprised that u got those shots on the move N@Z. Makes it even more nicer when i think about it.

Tropical, perhaps yer whitebalance is abit off? I think the lighting was giving the camera a headache. wacko.gif If u shoot raw u can still tweak abit or u could try changing the colorspace to IIIa (sRGB) in the camera to get more vibrant colors.

Nice shots Tropical wink.gif Did you use custom WB? If you like to use custom WB, try a foam cup (take one from the food court tongue.gif ). Put it in front of the lens, point the lens to the light source, and set the custom WB (or take a pic for custom WB reference).

Also try C1 DSLR Pro, it is very good RAW converter, eventhough not very user friendly. The PS CS RAW also gives a lot of adjusment, but be carefull with the sharpness adjustment. I found it it very ugly ppth.gif So use the sharpness adjustment mildly and wisely happy.gif

Just my 2Cents tongue.gif

.. few people i know would willingly participate in a parade. Im surprised that u got those shots on the move N@Z. Makes it even more nicer when i think about it.

I don't know, I particularly enjoy the National Day parade. Eventhough in this case I was 'drafted' into it. Had they given me the choice, I would have volunteered anyway.

You know what I was reading this pcmagazine article on some camera shoot out and they rated Canon G6 at 5/5 and Nikon D70 at 3/5 in terms of image quality( I think the d70 is on kit lens), with the reviewer commenting .. the colours look dull rolleyes.gif

I think they know jacksh*t about camera if any at all tongue.giflol.gif

Oh wow! I'm gonna trade down my D70+kit for a G6 man! The extra money I get I'll buy more pcmagazines & save myself a bundle!

innocent.gif

Nice shots Tropical wink.gif Did you use custom WB? If you like to use custom WB, try a foam cup (take one from the food court tongue.gif ). Put it in front of the lens, point the lens to the light source, and set the custom WB (or take a pic for custom WB reference).

Also try C1 DSLR Pro, it is very good RAW converter, eventhough not very user friendly. The PS CS RAW also gives a lot of adjusment, but be carefull with the sharpness adjustment. I found it it very ugly ppth.gif So use the sharpness adjustment mildly and wisely happy.gif

Just my 2Cents tongue.gif

i used auto WB -1 and florescent -1 for the SLS shots, they both look the closest to the original colors.

the foam cup tip is very interesting smile.gif will try it, i think they also hav something like this for sale, its like a filter but only for setting white balance.

i prefer to shoot with custom white balance whenever i can cause i don't like to use flash, unless the subject is actually posing for the shot then i'll use flash to get a better exposure

forgot to add...i got my speedlite today as well tongue.gif

the bug was too strong for me to fight lol.gif

user posted image

u can see the difference in color reproduction between an Olympus & Nikon, the Olympus is a little more "redish" with very livly greens, here the Nikon got the more accurate colors smile.gif the table has too much red when taken with the C8080

here's a shot of my "Honda Accord" PIAA JTCC special with all its "battle scars" tongue.gif

user posted image

only crop and apply auto levels in Photoshop Elements, it seems the Nikon RAW format is not recognize in Elements, but currently i'm happy with the results shooting in Jpeg fine quality smile.gif

user posted image

also did a few shots with the 70-300mm lens smile.gif

the fish belongs to my father smile.gif the focus was no very good but i like the bubbles laugh.gif

user posted image

the SB800 price is almost double that of my SB600, after some serious thought i decided to go with the 600, i think the results is value for money smile.gif N@Z, what shutter speed to u shoot with the SB800? with my SB600, it seems to produce better results when i shoot at higher speeds (80 - 125) my first tests with the flash at 1/30 speed seems to produce under-expose pics.

it got better when i increase the shutter speed, the flash seems to increase its intensity and that gave my a better exposure

Edited by tropicalrips

I use 1/60 in A-mode ISO 200/320, what mode did you use? Maybe I should try higher speeds next. I read somewhere ideally it should be 1/125-1/500 max if you're using ISO 800.

You really are building up your gear really fast. Anything else in your wish list?

i usually shoot in manual mode, sometime A-mode smile.gif ISO 200 - 250

next on my list is the 50mm 1.8 G-lens smile.gif this should be good for portraits, how much did u pay for yours N@Z?

I asked a friend to pick one up from me in SG for $170. I didn't ask which shop he got it from.

the 50mm should be 160-180 depending on which shop you go to, ie Lords - CP.

I just got mine earlier this week hur hur tongue.gif

Edited by Blues

Alriiight! Post pics!

D70 + SB600 in SLS biggrin.gif

check out the expressions on these 2 clowns crazylaugh.gif

user posted image

i'm getting more used to the flash smile.gif will continue to practice with the SB600

$170 is a good price for the 50mm, i was quoted just a few dollars less but including GST

yes blues, show us some pics from the 50mm, it should be better for portraits then the kit lens smile.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

Ok la.. today noone to shoot .. so I guess this will do as consolation? tongue.gif

post-4-1109346663.jpg

You decided not to get the zoom lens?