Sign in to follow this  
N@Z

The mini D70 users thread

Not the Nikon's promotion one..

I decided to cash in a little more for the Sigma 70-300 APO Macro f4-5.6 .. can do macro from 200mm-300mm plus the mount is metal and build quality is about just the same with the kit lens. I got it 2nd hand though for $260.Need it for sometime to cover tele range. Tomorrow going to zoo for service learning hehe gonna shoot using the new boys tongue.gif

Edited by Blues

w00t.gif but u can still get the promo lens and sell it off, @ $88 its just too good to past...it can easily fetch a price of $100-$150 if its unused.

hav u tried the SB800 as a remote flash N@Z?

its quite fun yes.gif can get the flash really close to the subject when using bounce, very nice effect yes.gif need to set the D70 flash to commander mode

The reason I bought the sigma is because I don't qualify for the promo tongue.gif ...

its quite fun yes.gif can get the flash really close to the subject when using bounce, very nice effect yes.gif need to set the D70 flash to commander mode

Not yet I'm hoping to try it soon, maybe tomorrow if I'm free.

So blues was the moon shot taken with your Sigma lens? How about some macro shots.

That sounds like a nice bargain for the lens at that quality and with macro too! Wun be gettin any lenses anytime soon though for me. Have fun at the zoo. biggrin.gif

Went to try out the 70-300mm G Nikkor. Not too impressed with the build & the feel of the zoom ring. Worse part is we only get the ones with the "Silver" finish (only the rubber part & mount is black) which made it look ultra cheapo. It is extremely light though.

I also tried out the 24-120mm VR lens which looked & feel nearly identical to the kit lens apart from physically slightly longer & the VR markings & switch on the side.

There was only a few other zoom lenses from Tamron which the vendor didn't recommend to me because it will not work in TTL mode with the SB800. I asked them to see whether they can source the 80-200mm ED f/2.8 lens for me. How much is the street price for this in SG? I checked from Nikon.sg it is RRP$1,980.00.

N@z: yeah the moonshot was done with the Sigma.. I might need to redo it as the noise is quite apparent I couldn't remember I might have pushed it up a little ..

Dead tired man.. woke up at 6 30 this morning and only come back home 2 hours ago. Today didn't manage to take alot of animals.. mainly just the baboon, 'tripod' and a few others I can't remember the names as the CIP itself requires us to take something else - not the animals .. much to my dismay sleep.gif. Not to mention that I forgot to charge my battery so it lasted about 140 shots only wacko.gif

These are a few I've gotten...

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Boink!!! Ouch that must have hurt... tongue.gif

laugh.gif Nice shots.

Not so good sample shots I took using the lenses I tried yesterday.

Nikkor AF-S VR 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

Much more expensive than the G lens but quality shows (metal mount & quality glass). If it could zoom up to 200mm I would have bought it.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Nikkor AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G

You don't realise how cheap & nasty it is till you physically see & handle it. Zoom range is useable though. Not too bad under the light conditions I used it (fluorescent light). If I didn't find it looked so damn ugly this would have bought it cause it was cheap.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by N@Z

nice shots thumbup1.gif the first pic zoo shot is cute smile.gif

the 70-300mm Nikkor tends to under-expose cause its not a bright enough lens

N@Z take more shots of shops in Brunei smile.gif we never see what they look like over there.

going shooting along the NEL tomorrow, most likly in Chinatown & Harbour front and my fav Clark Quay

I knew I should have taken more shots today! Anyway. Some I did manage to take today.

View from the garage outside my house before going out this morning.

user posted image

View inside the car while waiting at the traffic lights on my way home.

user posted image

I think I might go out next weekend to take some street shots.

n@z and tropicalrips: thx for the compliment w00t.gif

N@z: r u on the vivid mode? can see the colour is more vibrant the green seemengly more 'green' yes.gif

not sure if I am right wacko.gif

Yep I'm on VIVID mode as I find the default setting a tad bland for greens. Although if I go beyond ISO250 it will look a little oversaturated.

I can't seem to get the SB800 to work remotely. I've followed the manual, set the D70 as Commander (TTL?) then the SB800 as remote. The D70's speedlight fires a weak flash but my SB800 doesn't do anything. Is there anything else I'm missing?

on my SB600, the channel has to be 3 and group is set to A, or else the flash won't fire, this is according to the manual smile.gif should be the same for the SB800

but i'm not sure how this can work if i hav more then 1 flash and i want the 2nd flash on a different group sleep.gif

My contribution for the day... (still carried over from the zoo's pictures)

user posted image