heady

Mini³ group buy from AMB Audio shop

For the black acrylic, the words etched should be as white as the one on the clear panel. I'm really out of sources right now, so its either we settle for the clear coated acrylic which is easier to burn with less burn marks or the shiny black ones. The shop Nicholas recommended only carries clear coated(polished) acrylic. Black ones too expensive, no demand, that's why they don't bring it in. The mass order was in black, that's why I was asking everyone in the other forum if they are ok with shiny black or clear polished. Can't really move if everyone can't make a decision leh. Or should I just decide for everyone?

I suspect that the desoldering wick that connected the battery terminals with one of the caps was the culprit. After reading thru the mini3 headwize forums, I can only guess what happened fried all the opamps and the rail splitter. Think AMB mentioned that if the TLE2426 is fried, there's no point doing the initial shorting checks. Well, from what i read, it really is fried cos it's measuring at 8v+ and I failed all the checks for shorts. :bash: Lucky thing the output short checks passed, no need to look into that. :sweat: So, I'm gonna replace opa690, ad8397 and tle2426, give it a good scrub using heady's method and start over.

BTW, for the battery, I find using sandpaper's much easier. Just place sandpaper on a flat surface, grab the battery and sand it down. Use 2 grades, one coarse for faster removal of materials and the finest one you can get to achieve a nice, smooth, flat surface :) . Should be able to get it done in 10 mins or less. Oh yah, eastgear has a 7 day warranty on their battery, not much but better than nothing.

mouz, make a decision and then ask for people who want to withdraw. Don't need to agonise over this. :)

Anyone had noises with pots before???

yeah i think it's quite a common problem, through time the contact will not be so good anymore and produce brushing noise when turning the shaft

i check with my friend and he refered me to this ship ying kwang.

they have matt frosted black acrylic.

http://www.yingkwang.com/colorCode/mattAcrylic.htm

btw, i did my front panels for my alien dac today and the engraving words didnt appear white.

it was grayish instead. Looks cool.

How i wish it could be pure white.

Alamak! I must be so blind to miss this post, called them up and they feedback they have what I want. I'll be going down later to check the place out. Thanks iewgmail! Now we can finally get things moving :)

mouz, if you are still using the same thermal compound, I suspect it could be shorting the pins. My 2cents.

Well, I was a newbie and did not really bother about removing the flux before turning it on. It still worked fine and continued to work. Haha. Guess I am lucky or something. The flux is gone now of course.

iewgnail,

I am using a MAHA 230mAh 9.6V battery, same as mouz ( thanks to mouz for telling me the price :) )

I had to file away ~0.5mm of plastic in order to fit that in though.

Anyone had noises with pots before???

finally got my hands on the battery.

hoping to fit the battery up and get it going by tonight

Edited by iewgnail

Just ordered all my parts from farnell and will be delivered by next Tuesday :thumbup:

But... :rclxub:

These 2 items are out of stock :

aluminum electrolytic capacitor 470µF 16V Farnell 1219462

aluminum electrolytic capacitor 100µF 25V Farnell 1219466

Anyone can recommend other places to get them? :lust:

Thanks

if u scroll up abit, you can see Koba electronics.

i got all my caps, wallmart, leds and thermal comound from koba, resistors and regulator from farnell.

and thermal compound really needed! it gets real hot!! haha

These 2 items are out of stock :

aluminum electrolytic capacitor 470µF 16V Farnell 1219462

aluminum electrolytic capacitor 100µF 25V Farnell 1219466

Anyone can recommend other places to get them? :lust:

Thanks

I think the 470uF Panasonic FM are still available from farnell, 17 left in uk warehouse, but you need to order 5 minimum this time

the 100uF FM has been out of stock for quite a while

i'm using the rubycon zlg for this. it's also a low esr caps like the FMs

Heady, you have built the mini3 yea? Do you feel the bass decreases as you burn in?

Thats how I feel. Its around 50+hours now. Its getting rather lean on the bass... How do you feel about it?

I hope thats the case.

It's rather bassy for me. I'm not so much into bass for the songs i listen to.

Around 20+ hr burn in only at the moment.

found this really cool looking 'retro' knob at koba

IPB Image

btw thanks mouz and all for organising the front/back panels!

it's down to personal preference i guess...but i also like the skirting (didn't know it was called that lol) because it prevents the base of the amp from making potentially abrasive contact with the table without having to use rubber feet. :))

Edited by loop_

Nice, loop, see that you couldn't wait to get the panels on once u got them :). The wordings are a bit dark though, think we should stick to transparent ones next time, wordings are much clearer.