heady

Mini³ group buy from AMB Audio shop

Actually from my understanding, FM series better than FC in their impedance values.

Yep, just the b*tch on the phone gave me the wrong idea about "out of stock" (she was just referring to Sg) and was so darn impatient. Lol.

Maybe one day I'll go get the FMs someday and swap them in.

I doubt it will change the SQ by alot.

Heady, do you use any specific series?

hmm since farnell has the panasonic FM series out of stock at the moment.

can i find them at koba?

and also this cap. solid dipped tantalum capacitor 10µF 25V.

dont wanna spend $5 to get 5 of them when i only need one.

Well, act, you can use another 2 of them. I cant remember whats the location but they have it on Mini's site, as optionals. They specified for 10uF 16V but the 10uF 25V can be used, just slight oversized, not going to block anything just be careful with the lead spacing.

Heady, you have built the mini3 yea? Do you feel the bass decreases as you burn in?

Thats how I feel. Its around 50+hours now. Its getting rather lean on the bass... How do you feel about it?

Edited by ezzo

Yep, just the b*tch on the phone gave me the wrong idea about "out of stock" (she was just referring to Sg) and was so darn impatient. Lol.

Maybe one day I'll go get the FMs someday and swap them in.

I doubt it will change the SQ by alot.

Heady, do you use any specific series?

Hey, cool it, man. Don't get edgy just over small thing. You have NOT got snubbed by the girl in Federal yet. :))

I decided the caps on the Mini3 isn't worth getting too upset about since they are power caps, so I am just using those which fit and are available. Mostly the lower grade Panasonics. For the record, I have not started building yet. I am still short of some tantalum caps from Farnell.

I have not heard of bass disappearing after burn in. But certainly "loose" sounding bass do tighten up and become more controlled, so you may think the bass has disappeared. Also the treble then to become less harsh and yet clearer. This also possible to make you think the bass is not so dominant.

Just my opinion.

Edited by heady

will changing the caps to bigger uf help?

Bass turns muddy after i did that but should clear up after some burn in but that's only what I experience while modding a PC 2.1 sound system. Not too sure if it's the same for mini3 or not...

Edited by mouz

Hey, cool it, man. Don't get edgy just over small thing. You have NOT got snubbed by the girl in Federal yet. :))

I decided the caps on the Mini3 isn't worth getting too upset about since they are power caps, so I am just using those which fit and are available. Mostly the lower grade Panasonics. For the record, I have not started building yet. I am still short of some tantalum caps from Farnell.

I have not heard of bass disappearing after burn in. But certainly "loose" sounding bass do tighten up and become more controlled, so you may think the bass has disappeared. Also the treble then to become less harsh and yet clearer. This also possible to make you think the bass is not so dominant.

Just my opinion.

you should go hear it first then. Na, I doubt thats the case.

haha an insider joke there haha true true

the panasonic fm seems to fit the job well (low esr, size within specified limit) and cheap (71 cents) as well, so unfortunate it's out of stock.

there's a rubycon cap that can replace it, the problem is that it come in 8x16mm and 10x12.5mm sizes (diameterxheight)

haha an insider joke there haha true true

I remember the first time I went to SLT to try to find the OPA2134 for the CMOY. The girl in Federal gave me a dirty look when I said I wanted only one piece and walk off. No explanation. At that time, they did not take orders for Farnell like they do now. And the girl is young enough to be my daughter. Very "chee keg"... :bash::bash:

Ok lah, just don't go back there again. Now I find other places in SLT with cheerful and helpful staff. Stuff I can't find in SLT or Koba, I go on-line and buy from Farnell.

I remember the first time I went to SLT to try to find the OPA2134 for the CMOY. The girl in Federal gave me a dirty look when I said I wanted only one piece and walk off. No explanation. At that time, they did not take orders for Farnell like they do now. And the girl is young enough to be my daughter. Very "chee keg"... :bash::bash:

Ok lah, just don't go back there again. Now I find other places in SLT with cheerful and helpful staff. Stuff I can't find in SLT or Koba, I go on-line and buy from Farnell.

I see I see.. Well, for service like that, she ought to get fired :))

I have not bought from Federal before but Farnell does have a good service (other than that B*) - even to a student. Many shops (in general) treat students like CRAP as if we cannot pay :angry:

Yeah, if the shop's service sucks, they can forget about me going back to them, I would rather buy from somewhere else even if its more expensive :P

the caps arnt inside the signal path. its just for holding charges. no point using boutique caps.

Hi gene83, good to see others joining in the discussion. What you have said is not wrong. Power supplies capacitors do not directly influence the sound quality. But they do affect the sound. If the opamps cannot get adequate current for music which is increasing in volume very fast, for example, then dynamic range will be affected. This is the main reason for having the electrolytic capacitors in the power supply.

To hear this effect, you need two CMOYs to experiment with. Use standard Rubycon or other even cheaper stuff in one and use some audio grade caps (eg. Nichicon Gold, Oscons etc.) in the other. If everything else are the same, you will still be able to hear a difference between the two CMOY.

The issue is whether the difference is worth the extra cost. Or in the case of the Mini3, we probably have to sacrifice the quality due to the compactness of the pcb.

Edited by heady

supposedly according to amb he has calculated and tested that anything higher then 470uf might just be redundant. i have installed elna silmac IIs no different from the panasonic FMs. A/Bed. even if there was it would be ever so slight. or maybe its just me, i couldn't hear a difference.

supposedly according to amb he has calculated and tested that anything higher then 470uf might just be redundant. i have installed elna silmac IIs no different from the panasonic FMs. A/Bed. even if there was it would be ever so slight. or maybe its just me, i couldn't hear a difference.

Well, Silmics and Panasonics FMs are both audiograde so there should be little difference. I won't be able to tell the difference. I meant between normal grade and audio grade caps. I agree with you. I also agree with you that there is no need for bigger capacity caps or very high grade caps in the Mini3.

Cheers.