tropicalrips

Digital Camera

How else to learn? Learn from the "pros" lah! tongue.gif

oppss !! i was thinking of doing that too the next time LOL wink.gif

I guess I really should come clean. The photos I posted since december 2004 were all taken from my Nikon D70 DSLR. Hence why I've abstained from head-fi gear & the impending PC upgrade.

orchid.jpg

I think its just a tad bit underexposed but its a beautiful shot, just a lovely shade of purple. Are you using the kit lenses only?

so N@Z u got the D70 before me laugh.gif

i hav tried the new Olympus E300...but it feels small, even though its has a very solid built, i still prefer the D70's grip over the new E300

The call of the DSLR was too great to resist!

That photo was actually one of my earlier captures in december when I was just beginning, using JPEG & Auto mode. Most of my shots then nearly all looked underexposed. I have a few others which I took more recently in NEF. I'll post it later. Presently using the 18-70mm kit lens. Hoping to get the 50mm f1.8 soon. DSLR is expensive business man. Got the SB800 Speedlight too! All that's missing now is a good telephoto & an upgrade tripod+ballhead.

My brother is interested to upgrade his C750Z to the E300 because he actually prefers the slightly smaller size.

Nobody has actually mentioned the pentax *istds! Its the smallest of the bunch and picture quality is way up there with the d70 with more of a film like quality. Im very impressed with it because of the very usable high iso's. Pentax makes fantastic value for money lenses and the best prime lenses in the world but its just so so hard to get any in here in singapore not sure about over there in brunei though. Really very disappointed about that. In terms of cam features, the ds has a fantastic viewfinder which is bright n clear. My friend's d70 wasnt that bright compared to it. Both the ds and the d70 are very close in features with the ds just coming abit slower in the continuous focus shooting. The e300 is what i would say to be an aquired taste with the lens system to be abit lacking so to speak. The higher iso pictures were quite noisy(above 400) but im sure the ultrasonic sensor cleaner would come in handy in those dusty situations.

any shots of the D70 itself N@Z wub.gif

i'm still waiting to see if the price for the E1 drops any further tongue.gif

Edited by tropicalrips

This was taken last weekend. Saw these flowers growing wild at the fence. Most of my shots are taken at ISO200 as the noise at 400 & above is unacceptable to me. Haven't tried the noise reduction plug-ins yet though.

No photos of the D70 at the moment. Will try to get some using the CoolPix995.

Over here better to stick with Nikon or Canon because of the backup service.

DSC_3252.jpg

N@z: did u load in the custom curve to the D70 too?

Oh ya did you decide the flash between this and the SB600? I was thinking of getting the SB600 for I don't think I will get to use all the functions on the Sb800.. what do u think? laugh.gif

Qoo: hrm personally I would have preferred the Fuji S2pro if u shoot alot in high ISO .. not to mention the unnecessary post-processing work tongue.gif

The Fuji colours are really vivid and saturated.. love it.. the new S3pro is awesome as well w00t.gif

Edited by Blues

er I think the purple shot is ok. The D70 and D100 is known to produce 'slightly' underexposed pic. Most users would load the custom curve.. but I think I would prefer it the way it is. It keeps more detail and as always you can tweak the colour slightly in PS. custom curve would make life easier if u shoot by hundreds a day thou wacko.gif

It's still on it's default setting. I too prefer to do the changes on PS.

Quite frankly I would have just bought the SB600 for what my intended use is at the moment but since my sis was getting it for me in KL I figured I might as well splurge since the price (at the time) seems ok. I you don't need the commander mode & the extra accessories go for the SB600. IIRC it's actually better at taking continuous shots compared with the SB800. I have no experience with the SB600 but with the SB800, when set & used properly, the images taken with it doesn't even appear like flash was used. Quite natural looking What will you be using it with?

Yes in general I find Fujis to produce very vivid (very saturated & sharp) images. Based on my ownership of the MX1700, 6800Z & brief experience with the S5100. It looks impressive but somehow it doesn't look natural. They still take very good photos though.

Nikon cameras by default always underexposed the pictures slightly...This is due to the simple reason that its easier to bring out details in underexposed shots in PS, rather than bring in details in overexposed shots smile.gif

BTW on an underexposed white background, Nikon cameras will tend to change white to gray, while S2Pro will have a light blue tint.

Seems like the s3pro is using a new ccd, quite a few cool features for a pro user if i were to upgrade from a 'beginner' dslr. I like the fact that a few people are reporting that the s3pro has probably the best night shot performance but then they are probably fanatics tongue.gif

Id bump up the ev by 0.3 and auto wb by -1 or -2...i like the pics i get from that on the d70 =)

edit: typo!

Edited by Q00