tropicalrips

Digital Camera

I would like to ask your opinion about S1-IS (that's your camera right?). I'm thinking to buy the Powershot S1-IS to use it as video camera... what do you think?

Yup, that's my camera, actually I think it makes a better video cam than a digital cam laugh.gif. but the focusing under low light condition is hopeless. For a digital camera, the video is among the best I've seen, and although I usually record in 320x240 15fps, its quite smooth. I paid $770 for my S1-IS at Alan Photo back in June

Yup, that's my camera, actually I think it makes a better video cam than a digital cam .

Thanks Kiv!

So not bad to be used as camcorder right wink.gif

Yesterday I tried it at Cathay photo at Peninsula, I brought my own CF, but after a while the video recording stop by itself after 47 seconds (640x480 30fps). I guess it is because of my CF is regular CF, not the high speed one.

The color and sharpness is impressive, but shooting in the shop which relatively low light, I can see some noise and a bit of JPEG artifact. But overall very impressive video clip.

Have you upgraded the firmware? Is there any low light focusing improvement after firmware upgrade?

Have you ever tried to shoot video at 640x480 fine 30fps, for more than 3 minutes?

Thanks for all the inputs! I just bought 2nd hand S1-IS, very good deal wink.gif

The result, I'm very pleased with the color, very nice out of the camera. Not as sharp as my G2. But considering the 4Mp vs. 3.2Mp, and the 3x vs. 10x zoom, it already performs very good. Good Enough for 4R to 5R printing.

Beside the sharpness, it also show more Chroma noise compare to my G2, but it can be reduced with PS.

The video quality is the best among other prosumer digicams. With sufficient light, it shows very good video on TV, almost as good as S$ 1k handycam. In low light it shows noise grain, but I can live with it.

The purple fringing also minimum. Below is backlight test to show the purple fringing, very good performance.

This is an outdoor camera, so it performs well outdoor, for both still and video.

For the price, I'm happy with it. smile.gif

user posted image

Hehe, saw your post on Clubsnap, glad you like your new purchase. Hunting for a lens adapter for the camera now, seems to be out of stock everywhere mad.gif

Tele adapter / Wide angle ? I guess the wide angle one, because 380mm should be good enough for everyday photo wink.gif

I have the Canon wide adapter, but 58mm thread, I ussually use it with G2. Any idea where to get the cheapest lens / filter adapter for S1? (LA-DC52E)

S1-IS has nice green out of the camera happy.gif

At 58 (380mm eq) handheld at ISO 100, no PS only resizing:

user posted image

Edited by bpribadi

Actually I wanted to get the lens adapter to attach a UV filter to act as a lens protector laugh.gif, plus protect the zoom mechanism at the same time. Don't think I have the $$ to get the attachment lens anytime soon. Might get a +2 or +4 filter thot whistling.gif

Anyway cheapest so far I found is at AP, $48 before GST, but have to wait a week or 2, no stock now. BTW the lens adapter comes with a lens hood, entire set is LAH-DC10. You can't buy just the lens adapter alone. hammer.gif

Would be nicer if you have the wide angle adapter smile.gif

Did you saturate the green in PS? Looks too saturated to me happy.gif

Hehe, yeah saturated the green abit more, like the greeny effect, but maybe I overdid it abit tongue.gif. The camera limited by its 38mm wide angle. Shucks, seems like the lens adapter is just about out of stock everywhere no.gif

While waiting for the inaugural F1 race in China took some shots of my RS-1 using the C750z.

user posted image user posted image user posted image

user posted image user posted image user posted image

Never realised it was so dirty on the grilles till I looked at the macro shots!

N@Z, Where did you bought the yellow foam? Does it improve the sound, or just to replace the original black foam?

Thanks!

I bought 2 sets courtesy of Hirsch from Head-Fi. Used one set & sold the other one to a colleague. Then bought another 2 sets from Rameish, sold one set to scriberex & the last pair as spare.

You should still be able to find them in SG. There was a thread about them here concerning their availability & their Pros comfort & sound wise. I'll post the link when I find it so we don't de-rail this thread too far.

Edit

Completely forgot I was the one that wrote the How To Mod Article in the FAQ. Try searching the main forum concerning the sound, they were bits & pieces in threads.

Edited by N@Z

we make the tagline for sgheadphones to "SGheadpones - where the search button is your friend!"

Some nature pics I took in Copenhagen 2 weeks ago with my Canon S45. My first macro shots, welcome any comments!

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image