matbon0013

What are you listening to NOW!

Pearl Jam - Yield

user posted image

Another gatefold style CD packaging. Pearl Jam is one of the remaining rock bands that still releases their albums also on vinyl. I like their direct & minimalist sound. Not recommended for bright sounding equipment.

Notable tracks:

3 - No way

7 - Evolution : the video & song is cool.

8 - . : yes literally a red 'dot' for the track name for a short 'interesting' interlude track.

Your not a real rocker if you don't own at least one album from Black Sabbath or Ozzy!!! Eventhough you are not even a fan. In my case I had one album on Cassette (The Mob Rules - Black Sabbath), Vinyl (Paranoid - Black Sabbath) & CD (this album).

user posted image

Not the best sounding CD (eventhough remastered) but this live set captures the Ozzy experience (the sense of air is captured, imagine you're listening in the middle row) with one of the ultimate heavymetal guitarist of the time, Randy Rhodes showing us how it's properly done.

The all important & controversial Suicide Solution (since it's on CD it's hard to find out whether there is a hidden message in this song!) complete with the mandatory guitar solo, Steal Away(The Night) complete with drum solo & even a few ballads(?!) is in this tribute album.

I personally prefer Paranoid, the guitar riff is so cool. It's so easy to hear early Metallica in this riff party.gif

av98m, I would agree that the recording is dependant on matching equipments maybe. I used them on my portable gear and the distortion is there. Once I played it on my home system speakers and home headphone setup the distortion disappeared like it was not there. I also remembered at Ramiesh's house listening to it when ablaze pointed it out it was there (the distortion on the first track ~1m 25s). Might it be system synergy? unsure.gif

Probably. unsure.gif The distortion does not show up when the track is played on the speaker system at That CD Shop. But it did show up when played on a colleague's $10k+ home speaker system. Luck of the draw??

av98m, that's cool then. I have another theory, this might sound ever so silly, can it be you need to burn in the CD? haha.gif Mine is second hand so should be very well burnt in tongue.gif

Interlude spin Tori Amos - Silent all these years CD single. Charity release support for the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN) You have to dig the live version of this song thumbup1.gif

Edit = typo & grammar

post-4-1066191338.jpg

Edited by matbon0013

Michael (Guang Liang) - First Time

I've had this CD for quite a while and only last night did I realise that it was recorded in HDCD format when I noticed the HDCD indicator light up on my player. Upon closer inspection of the CD, found the tiny HDCD wording on the CD itself, no other indication on the cover and back.

post-4-1066199303.jpg

Best Audiophile Voices II

Today went to New Disc Village, the boss was listening to this CD. I couldn't resist and got a copy for SGD15.99 (because I already bought an album, so this one $2 cheaper)

post-4-1066301022.jpg

Edited by lekguan

CD single.

Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen, a song of epic proportions. The only other song close to matching it is Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. Bare in mind this was recorded in 1975. It needs a fast sounding amp/headphone combo to be heard at it's best for when the crescendo comes in. MG Head/DT880 was appaling sadly, maybe it is due to the new Mullard CV4003.

However on the other song it sounded sublime. This is newer from the similarly entitled 1991 album which shows that the abilities of Queen & Freddie Mercury goes beyond a mere rock band. Brian May's signature guitar tone & technique is also unique to Queen.

party.gif Party on Garth! Nuff said! party.gif

SAVE0126.jpg

Buena Vista Social Club

This has been posted a few times but I am in love with this CD, I listened to it last night & tonight. Thanks Rameish for recommending/getting this for me & all the people involved in making it possible for me!

user posted image

What an amazing recording. The sense of space & detail. Extremely enjoyable music too. Almost makes me want to dance to the Afro cuban tunes.

Simply Red - Picture Book

user posted image

Their very first album. Still the best IMO. Jazzy flavour. One of my most played albums on vinyl when I first got it in 1986 (originally released in 1985). Bought the CD in 1989. I love all the tracks but the most notable are:

Track 2 - Heaven

Track 3 - Jericho

Track 7 - Holding back the years

user posted image

Something alternatively different. Nice laid back type of music, it's hard to describe, one minute there's jazz, the next country, ambient, new age & so on. This CD needs mild crossfeed to sound less fatiguing on headphones but it sounds well recorded. I like 'Nobody's fault but my own'.

Beck is wierd, see what's on the inside of the Cover... There's more but it grossed me out so I won't put you through it.

SAVE0129.jpg

Bill Wither's Greatest Hits

user posted image

I'm listening to this on my Nakamichi deck. The music is smooth, soulful & laid back. I've got this on Cassette, Vinyl & CD... yep I like it that much!