heady

Mini³ group buy from AMB Audio shop

$30USD not including shipping yet right? That sounds expensive...

Below are the questions I'm gonna ask kokbee, if you have any further queries please feel free to add before I shoot another email back to them.

1. Other than black with white letterings, will you be able to produce white with black letterings too?

2. Are you able to lower production cost, for example, using alternative materials?

3. Do you offer any discount if we order more?

4. If you are able to offer a discount, how many more must we order?

5. What is the advantages of using gravoply? tougher and more durable?

6. Are you able to produce the plates using Gravoply2, if so, how much will that be?

Actuallly, I think it would be wise to order one set first to check out their build quality. We'll be screwing ourselves over if we order in bulk and none if it fits properly. BTW, this kokbee place doesnt seem easily accessible by public transport, might need someone who drives a car or ride a bike to go there with the sample for further discussion. Volunteers? :)

Location of Kok Bee

Edited by mouz

Mouz,

The casing come either in aluminium or black, so either of these colours will be ok. Price-wise, we have no choice cos we making only a few. The more we make the cheaper it gets. Some of the larger shops will probably not take our order cos so small.

Driving there is not a problem if just to collect. I can go during lunch time.

Thanks for the effort.

I think it's a great price.

Its definately cheaper than the one on amb made by frontpanelexpress.

is this case the material is gravoply which is a kind of plastic. not sure about it's durability.

Sounds pretty ok... There's a gravoply2 gloss which sounds better with a scratch resistant surface, think I'll ask them if they make it in gravoply2 also :)

Gravoply

Sheets - 24" x 48"

Easy to clean, Chip and shatter proof, Engraves clean and sharp, Stain resistant, Resists salt water, oil and acids

Easily sheared to size

30% lighter then phenolics

Indoor use only

http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bi...Engraving-Stock

Gravoply2

Features:

Low glare matte finish

Gravoply 2 Gloss has an extra durable scratch resistant glossy cap

Micro thin surface layer

Perfect for small characters and detailed logos

Low glare matte finish on Woods, Granites and Tech Patterns

http://www.professionalplastics.com/cgi-bi...Engraving-Stock

Mouz,

The casing come either in aluminium or black, so either of these colours will be ok. Price-wise, we have no choice cos we making only a few. The more we make the cheaper it gets. Some of the larger shops will probably not take our order cos so small.

Driving there is not a problem if just to collect. I can go during lunch time.

Thanks for the effort.

Ok than, we'll just stick with $32 a set for the first batch. I just hope they know how to read the diagrams correctly, hope they don't mistake the countersunk hole for a thru hole... Anyway, I'll send the email tonight if there's no further queries. If all goes well, we can a start group buy for face plates by end of this week hopefully.

Yeaa, you sure did put in a lot of effort mouz! :D

Just have something to suggest, based IMO.

The hammond case which the PCB is designed for have two designs.

The FIRST one with all plastic front/end panels that cups the case in the front and back alittle (its rather hard to describe).

So lets say, trying to fix the panels of one would be like:

Front panel - Case - End panel

The SECOND design has Al panels instead, flat Al panels, but they are not screwed on directly onto the case. It has the plastic front and end panels (like the previous design) and works the same. BUT, the plastic panels are hollow, that means the flat Al panels covers the hollow part of the plastic cover.

And it would be like this:

Al panel - Plastic panel - CASE - Plastic panel - Al panel

(front and end panels are the same for both design)

Sorry for such long description, just trying to make things easy for those who have not seen the hammond case. Hope everyone understand what I'm trying to say :)

SO, the question is, is it possible for to work on the Al panels that comes with the case?

IMO, I prefer the original hammond panels to the one design by AMB, it gives the amp a 'fuller' look. A fine example of the original Hammond case(with plastic panels) is the mSeed Spirit Amp.

What do you guys think?

Edited by ezzo

Sounds great I will bite. Yeah it will be nice if you can provide them the AMB panels as an example of how we want it, and also to take a look at the quality of their products.

Hmm. Sounds great to me.

It is important to collect orders now though. Not sure if everyone would want the faceplate. I am all for it though. :)

i'm in for the faceplate too.

one question. do you all want the faceplate to have the amb lab wordings on it too? since we're making custom faceplate, better for it to be blank right?

or even better if the company gives free personalization of the panels.. haa..

as ezzo has said:

can someone please verify first how to fit the panel to the hammond casing?

and will it fit nicely there?

sorry i have no idea about the design of the hammond case, and just worried that after making the panels turned out it won't fit properly and whatnot.

Thanks for the comments guys! Really appreciate it. :)

aegisofrime, I agree with you about showing them the sample but there's only a few guys in here who has it and they might not have the time to go all the way way to the shop to show it to them. So we'll just have to trust the shop and the dimensions given by AMB are correct.

ezzo, good thing you told me about the casing. Was checking out the cases and I think I'll be buying 1455C801 (Al panel - Plastic panel - CASE - Plastic panel - Al panel), just replace the aluminium plates with the completed face plates and you're done. I checked the dimensions of face plates on both AMB and Hammond. Dimensions are almost the same actually. In theory, it should work I suppose. 1455C802 comes with plastic end cover with skirting, so if we replace it with the face plates, there's a chance the edges of the face plate will stick out a bit. Looks ugly too if you ask me....

From AMB

L 2.1230" (53.924mm)

B 0.9030" (22.936mm)

From hammond

1455C801

1455C802

shld we get the company to do one plate first? making sure it is correct and according to spec before we jump into the deal.

else it be 300+ for all the boards down the drain

and another thing regarding the knobs. farnell does carry the knobs we need.

however a lil off the charts.

we need a 6mm 'd' shaft and less than 13mm diameter.

the first two criteria there but the smallest diameter found is 13.2mm.

prob we can still give it a try.

farnell order code for the knob is 766707.

check out the tech sheet for other colors etc.

shld we get the company to do one plate first? making sure it is correct and according to spec before we jump into the deal.

else it be 300+ for all the boards down the drain

I will support this idea, if they allow us to do it. I don't mind meeting Mouz at this place one lunch time this week or next week (except weekends).

I will support this idea, if they allow us to do it. I don't mind meeting Mouz at this place one lunch time this week or next week (except weekends).

I don't mind that but problem is I'm working at Jurong east, don't drive or ride, meeting up is gonna be a bit difficult here.

BTW, I think we can start a list on interested participants on the face plates and other stuff from farnell to get things moving a bit. Should we start a new thread or combine with this thread? So far from what we can see it's as follow...

Front/back panel

heady - 3

mouz - 1

Casing 1455C801

Edited by mouz